When you make the decision to sell your home, you obviously want to get the best possible price, while having the least amount of problems. But remember that the ultimate goal is to sell the house and move on with your life.
All three of these goals can best accomplished by using a real estate professional.
Historically, the National Association of Realtors Home Buyers and Sellers Survey showed that 87% of all homes were sold with the assistance of a Realtor. The remaining 13% were split between family and friends transactions and sellers selling their homes to strangers.
Technology has changed the way buyers search for homes. In 2001 69% of buyers used an agent to help with the purchase of their new home. In the past 3 years 92% of all buyers have used the internet to search for their home. Also, 95% of those buyers purchased their new home with the assistance of a real estate professional. Only 2% of buyers purchased their home directly from a seller they didn’t know.
Today’s buyers search for their home online first, but they depend upon an agent to actually find the home they will purchase (53%), to negotiate the pricing and terms of the contract (48%), or to help them understand the process(60%).
There are vast amounts of information available online, actually too much for people to understand. More buyers are reaching out to real estate professionals to help them “connect the dots”.
Now let’s talk finances. Many FSBO sellers do it themselves to save the commission fees of 4% – 6%. But the median price of a home sold with a Realtor’s assistance was 14% higher . Where are the savings for the FSBO seller?
Also – did you know that a FSBO seller needs to follow the same paperwork regulations as a Realtor? If you don’t have all of the proper forms signed, or copies of the appropriate paperwork, you can get fined just as a Realtor can.
Last – do you want to let total strangers into your house when you know nothing about them? Are they qualified to purchase your home? Can they get a mortgage ? Are they real buyers or just nosy neighbors or someone with a more nefarious purpose?
Hire a professional to guide you through one of the most important financial transactions of your life.