The time has come for you to sell your home. You have found an experienced Realtor who you feel comfortable with and have begun the process. You have probably read many articles regarding pricing the home to sell and getting it into the proper condition. And if you haven’t, you should. You can begin by reading previous blog posts of ours at https://www.55plusinocean.com/blog/
But this post is about something that is equally important. And that is how to give access to the house so that your Realtor, along with the other Realtors in the Multiple Listing System, so that they can show your home to their prospective buyers.
There are many levels of access that you can grant. We suggest that you choose the first option, as it allows the best access, and also is the most convenient for Realtors. Remember – if you make it difficult for Realtors to show your property, they probably won’t.
- Put a lockbox on the door. A lockbox is secure, and allows Realtors to show your home with a minimum of fuss, at a time which is convenient to both the buyer and the Realtor.
- The seller will open the home. This can work if the seller is almost always available to let people in with an appointment. If there are pets in the home, this may be a good way to go. But if you are there to let people in, consider going for a walk. Let the Realtors do their job. They can’t do it if you are hovering in the background.
- By appointment with the homeowner. Remember, buyers come to look when they are available. They are not always available when it is convenient for the seller.
- Key is at the listing Realtors office. This is very inconvenient for the selling Realtor. Don’t make them drive to an office, show the house, and then return the key. Many times a Realtor will skip showing those homes.
- Restricted access. For example – the home can be shown Tuesdays and Thursdays between 3:00 and 5:00, or Sunday from 10:00 to 2:00. Please remember, buyers are not always available to see a home on your
If you are serious about selling your home, it is in your best interest to make it as easy as possible for potential buyers to see your home.
If you have questions or comments, please call me, Art Reiman, at 732-598-7700